Sunday, November 10, 2019

Decorating for Turkey Day

I know most of you have moved on to Christmas but I have some 
cute Thanksgiving decorations so I will enjoy this season first.
I hooked this very small mat years ago very funky but I still like it.

I got a large lot of these candles for little money at a thrift store a few years ago. 

And my poor little Indian's feet are bumpy so he does not stand
very well but I have him tucked in with the others. 

My aunt gave me these two probably 35 years ago and out they come each thanksgiving. They are made of paper ribbon. 

I worked 6 days in a row (50 hours ) and am beat. I am way to old for those kind of hours but they were short handed. So my one day off Husband and I took a ride an hour north to Littleton NH. 
Such a sweet town with a wonderful Main St. Lots of small wonderful stores and we ate lunch at the counter, on the old red stools, of a local diner.


Our White Mountains were just glorious today, well really any day. 
This is just as we entered Franconia notch. I feel very lucky to live in the mountains.

After we shopped our way along Main St. We stopped for dessert at the largest candy counter in the world! Chutters! This is just a small portion of it and in the center is all kinds of high end candies such as fudge, nice chocolates etc. We spent the best part of 20.00 and snacked our way home. 


This is a sweet fence that was across the front of their local library.


Of course I hit their little local thrift store. These little knives will be put to good use when I give bread with compound butter for Christmas gifts.

This is a bamboo knife. I will use it when I have soft cheese etc.

I also purchased these Santa shot glasses. They are vintage made in Japan each has their original sticker.

It was nice to have a day with nothing to do but enjoy. 

I am deep into the pumpkin bread. I am making them for the Thanksgiving baskets that they giveaway at a local food pantry. 4 dozen this year. I am making and freezing right now. they need to be passed in by the 23 of November. I love baking and they like the bread so a win win.
 Freezing temps and snow in our future this week we will see how much snow but we will be hugging the wood stove for sure.
***
Have a wonderful week

10 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

I, too, just decorated for Thanksgiving. For me, Christmas comes after Thanksgiving but I hate how late it falls this year.
You are blessed to live in the mountains. Northern Ohio is totally flat, thanks so the glaciers.
How kind and generous of you to bake all that pumpkin bread for the food pantry. I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated.

Julia said...

I'm glad for you that you could get away on your day off. You got some cute thrift finds. Wow, you made a lot of pumpkin bread. I can't determine how big they are, just by the picture.
Happy Thanksgiving. The decorations are sweet.
Hugs, Julia

Saundra said...

What a delightful post and lunch with your hubby. Am sure that chocolate made for too short a ride home as it was probably all gone too soon. Sweet Santa shot glasses too.

I've never made pumpkin bread; have made zucchini and banana bread tho. Would you please send me the recipe at saundra125@comcast.net.

Saundra said...

OH!!!!!!! Forgot to tell you I LOVE your early hooked pumpkin. We should embrace our early hooked pieces as a chance to see how far we have grown as rug hookers. ENGJOY!!!

yaya said...

If I ever come your way we really need to go thrift shopping together! It's one of my favorite things to do. I'm a decorator of all seasons and Thanksgiving is one of them! I have some very favorite things I put out and I might have to blog about it next week. I'll get to Christmas in the right time but I love Thanksgiving and don't want to pass it by! Have a great week. We're expecting snow also..brrrr

Hill Top Post said...

Pumpkin bread is a favorite here on the hill. Yours looks oh-so-delicious. Yes, I definitely would count myself lucky to live in those beautiful mountains. We also live with mountains all around.

Prims By The Water said...

Cute Thanksgiving. Wonderful Santa glasses and that bread looks so YUMMY! Janice

Rose H (UK) said...

Hello Cathy!
Good to see your sweet post.
I haven't been blogging since losing my husband and rarely dip into blog land, but your post made me smile.
Thought l'd drop by and wish you and yours my best wishes for the coming holiday season.
Take care!
Rose H (Second hand Rose) xx

moosecraft said...

Our home is still decorated with pumpkins and such....I feel that Thanksgiving is an under appreciated holiday. What's not to love about a day with food & football? lol! No, seriously....it's such a comforting holiday....one of my favorites! I'll take the "Black Friday" storing away autumn decorations and slowly bringing out the winter/Christmas. LOVE those Santa shot glasses...not only are they cute, but made in Japan ? Wow! What a find!

Julie - My Primitive Heart said...

Hi Cathy,
I love your Turkey mat and and all your other sweet pieces you display!! Your little day trip sounds like the perfect way to spend with your hubby and you always find the best things when you go thrifting!! Who would not LOVE to go to the worlds largest candy store?? YUM!!!!
Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, my friend!
Heart Hugs~
Julie xo