Sunday, September 9, 2012

A Full Weekend

Today was a beautiful clear crisp day. So we decided to take a drive north.
This is not that clear but it is out of the truck window. We went to Woodstock
NH. and had lunch at a fun place on Main St. We took the back way home and found
a new place to kayak. 

On Sat I went to the town wide yard sale in the next town.
I found these 2 books for 1.00.

And this cute new purse/ wallet.

I came home and made pasta sauce. It is the first time I have made it
from fresh tomatoes. I checked on line for some hints but really
made it to our tastes. Then I made meatballs, so it was pasta for dinner last night.


A neighbor called and told me to pick some zucchini from his garden.
I made bread with blueberries and chocolate cake from the zucchini and I still have
some left over.

Last night we had some heavy heavy rain and vivid lighting warnings
well the lighting never happened thank you very much. But the rain kept going.
we tucked in ate and watched a movie.
 
My hydrangea made it through the rain without much damage.
The light has changed so much now, the shadows are getting long.
I am not ready for what comes after fall. The long nights and the oil bills.
But this too will pass.
***
Is it proper for a single girl to have dinner in a bachelor's apartment without a chaperon?
(this came from Bangor Maine. 1956)
Social conventions can do very little to protect a girl really bent on getting into difficulties. Her yardstick should be "Could I tell my Mother where I am?"
a career girl in her twenties and beyond should not say beyond 10-10:30. If others are present she may stay as late as 12 but never beyond.
a good rule is "Avoid the appearance of evil."
(that is the short version)
 

 

10 comments:

Julia said...

The pasta sauce looks yummy and the sweet bread too. You really had a nice full day. There should be some good hints in those rug books.

I love reading those old fashion etiquette rules. Values sure have changed in such a short time. Thanks for sharing those.
Have a nice week.

JB

Kim said...

That sauce looks amazing. I could almost imagine dipping a big piece of fresh bread in it.
Those etiquette tips are cracking me up!

Nellie said...

Your sauce making appears to have been very successful! Perfect time to have meatballs and pasta!:)

Have a happy week!

xo Nellie

jody said...

the drive sounds nice. your pasta sauce looks wonderful! is that a vera purse...? my daughter in law should have taken stock out! enjoy your evening!

Primitive Stars said...

Hi Cathy, great fun weekend, you always find wonderful old cookbooks. Your sauce looks yummy and that bread, I`m hungry for a slice,tee hee. What a nice Hydranga, so so pretty, even through the rain. Blessings Francine.

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Love your photos!! Sauce looks delicious!!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Your sauce looks delicious. I liked that you put your own spin on it. I always try to add a little something of me to a recipe too. Like you, I love fall, but the winter utility bills are always so high. Have a great week.

Trace4J said...

Sounds like a wonderful day.
Your sauce and bread look so yummy.
I want meatballs for breakfast.
Very pretty purse too.
Love the color.
HUGS
Trace


www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

Mugwump Woolies said...

Sounds like a perfect day...and a perfect meal!
Robyn

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

The sauce - fabulous, the hydrangea - beautiful, the etiquette - hysterical!

Have a wonderful day! Love your finds too!