Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Thrifting, Cooking, and Reading

Thrift store day and I found a few things. The two plates are very much like yellowware I am not sure if they are new or old. The little silver tray I thought it would look good with greens and silver Christmas balls. Total spent 2.00.                                                                     
 I found 3 blouses for myself 2 liz claiborne and 1 dress barn. I am trying to lose a few pounds so I have been on the treadmill every other night. I have lost 3 lbs, which is better off than on but it is slow to come off.
 Last night I went to my women's group Thanksgiving, (so much for the diet)16 if us around a table was so wonderful. I made a cranberry chutney to bring and it was a hit. I found it from beyond my kitchen window you should add this to your thanksgiving.

I have actually had some time to read a book. I am reading The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve. It is a fictional account of the true murders on Isles of Shoals March 5,1873,off the coast of Portsmouth NH. It is a Maine island but closer to Portsmouth. It is pretty good, I have read some of her other books and enjoyed them. Working in a book store I have a large stack of books that customers think I should read. I read the Girl With The Dragon Tatto that a customer said I had to read. I know a lot of people love it but I really didn't like it. To much weird violence for me.  Well I am off to get on the tread mill have a great night.

9 comments:

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Great finds as usual. Your chutney photo is nice to see, glad it was a hit. Speaking of books have you read Edgar Sawtelle? Wonderful book!!

One Cheap B*tch said...

YUM!!!!!!!!!!

Jeanine

Julia said...

That cranberry chutney looks very tasty. I may try it for Christmas. So many recipes to try and so little time. It's always fun to find things you can use at a the thrift store. JB

Donna said...

Your cranberry chutney looks just delicious!! AND after a day of good bargains...who could ask for anything more??!?

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cathy ~
Walk a mile for me, ok? The older I get, the harder it is to lose. (That chutney looks so yummy and is making me hungry!)
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Cathy G. said...

Again, I like your finds! Great useful items! This is a bad time of year to try and lose some weight! I have been walking outside all summer and now I will have to get on the treadmill with bad weather looming. I have a real problem with standing in one place to walk on a treadmill though..ugh!
But I know if I don't I'm in real trouble!
I'm with you on the weird violence thing.....don't understand why people want to read stuff like that..... it's very unsettling to me.
Cathy G

WendyBee said...

Hi!
This is my first visit to your blog. I came and checked it out because you were so sweet and left me a comment on my blog. Thank you. I am very interested in rug hooking. I live in a colonial style home in Biddeford (not far at all from Kennebunk/K'port. Not one of the originals, but I aspire to decorating a little in the colonial style and one thing I love is hooked rugs. I know there used to be (might still be?) a lady in K'port on North Street, who had a sign out front "The Happy Hooker" HaHa. I occasionally got a close-up look at hand-hooked rugs when I was in high school in Mass. and worked at a store which sold wool remnants, mainly for rug-braiding, but also for rug-hooking. (Braid-Aid in Pembroke, Mass.) Have never actually tried it yet, but likely will someday...
Thanks again for visiting me. And by the way, no snow yet here in Biddeford! Where in Maine are you from?
WendyBee

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Hey honey I appreciate your kind comments. Your so right that constant pain is a problem but I am ok.
Love that you found some great bargains. It is always fun to find them. The tray will be great for what you have in mind. You did good
Love
Maggie

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

I haven't tried that chutney - yet! But I plan to soon! Nice finds again, I especially like the tray, can't wait to see it with it's decorations. Sounds like you have a nice group of friends, happy to hear you enjoyed yourself!