Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Christmas Secret

I said I was working on a Christmas card project so here it is. This picture is of the vintage one I bought at a antique store. I love it and thought how hard could it be to make one???
 Well it is harder than I thought. I wanted to use this basket with out taking it apart.
 I cut out my cards ,punched them with the little holes, a hole punch is to large.
 I have started sewing them together using the blanket stitch.
  I will show you the finished product once I am done. I could make a thousand of these because I have a secret. I have kept every card I have ever received since we have been married, 35 years. No one can lift the box their in. But oh the memories in that box. Lots of pictures that were tucked in cards and all the cards my daughter made for us when she was little. and the cards sent by friends and family that are no longer here. I even found money that was tucked in a card many years ago for my daughter.
 My dump find is pretty cool this week. A Christmas wreath, a bunch of extra branches,
 and a pile of fake berries I am going to use on another project. All wrapped up nicely in a clear plastic bag. Very timely don't ya think!
 Thrift store finds today was a really fun Christmas stencil book. I also got some CD's, old Billy Joel and a Bon Jovi
I went to the dentist today and I have a cavity, the first one in about 25 years. A new dentist bought out my old retired dentist. hmmm. It has stopped raining and now it is blowing and getting pretty cold. My cat ran down to the basement when she heard the husband starting the wood stove down there. She is all curled up in a basket about 5 feet from the stove.
My husband has signed us up to host the Christmas party for his work in December. So I guess I better start cleaning I don't want them to see how we really live, ha.
I love all your visits and comments. Keep them coming I guess I am begging again. Have a great night.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Love the berries. When you say the dump what do you mean? Is that like finding something on the curb on trash night?
I also had to giggle when I read the "how we really live" comment. I am with you on that one. I always cringe when I get home from work and Larry tells me who stopped by....I look around and just want to die. No one ever stops when the house is picked up...Why is that? I hope you have fun working on your basket. It is gonna be pretty.

Kim said...

Your Christmas card project sounds fun. I'm excited to see what you create with all your memories.

Thrifty Chic said...

Dr. Reever finally retired woah..... im shocked.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cathy ~
I've saved all my cards for quite a few years, but you win :) I don't have 35 years worth!
Love the fake berries. Keep us posted on the basket progress.
I guess your begging has worked because your followers are adding up quickly.
I, too, am trying to clean before the out of town family arrives for Thanksgiving. I've got dust bunnies the size of Manhattan!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Julia said...

I remember those old card basket from my childhood when life was lived at a slower pace... I had forgotten all about them. Thanks for the memory Acorn Hollow.
JB

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Your finds always shock me. I could go to a dozen thrift stores and never find a thing. I love all your faux berries. Having a party is a sure way to get a spotless house. Maybe I should throw a party.

One Cheap B*tch said...

Can't wait to see the final result! And boo for your cavity. That's no fun!

Jeanine

Unknown said...

I love your basket. My you found great stuff in the dump. Can't wait to see what you do with the wreath and berries.

moosecraft said...

I like the Christmas card project very much! Love all the vintage graphics on the old cards!