Sunday, July 20, 2014

Do I Smell Donuts?

The world news has been heart breaking. 
I needed a diversion.
On Thursday a friend and I took a walk around her town
to see all of the sculptures that have been installed.
Then we went to the beach bar for a drink.

As we were having our drink the Mt. Washington 
boat come into the dock. While we both have seen this boat
a hundred times and have been on it many times we both grabbed
phones and took pictures, so pretty


Friday after work husband and I loaded up the kayaks and 
headed to a small pond. We were the only two on the pond.

We floated around and watched this loon preen, a lot!
So peaceful.

And he left a present! I love that the sky is reflected in this picture.

We stuck close to the house and did some things
we have been putting off. Like sealing the porch floor.
quite a difference:) 

I did some gardening

and general cleaning.

I have been thinking about my mom and grandparents
a lot lately. My brother is coming home in a couple of weeks
and when he is home we talk about them a lot.
When I was cleaning out cookbooks I found a recipe that was 
my mothers....

For Molasses donuts. My gram made these for us all the time.
Maybe they have been thinking about us. 
Heaven knows...
**** 
I have lots of prayers for the world right now. But I just can't 
watch the news. I am feeling very blessed to live in 
such a quiet peaceful place that restores my soul.


16 comments:

Nellie said...

Sending you hugs! Yes, the news has been terrible! We are thankful for the peace and joy that fills our lives.

Molasses Doughnuts! Oh, dear! Keep me away from them!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cathy,
In so many ways I am happy I don't have a TV. I would just sit there and cry.
That picture of the feather on the water is spectacular!
Sounds like you had a peaceful weekend. We have much to be thankful for.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Kim said...

Sounds like a very peaceful few days. I've never heard of molasses donuts but they look great.

The Paisley Studio/Sarah McNamara said...

Enjoy your donuts and kayaks and all the small wonders that keep us sane when the world out there goes crazy.

Julia said...

I agree the world news is depressing. So much needless suffering and such cruelty. My heart goes out to the surviving families of the crash and of all the victim of the war in the middle East.

You're diversions are perfect and those donuts sound delicious. I never had homemade molasses donuts, just the plain old fashion donuts.

Hugs,
JB

WoolenSails said...

I know how you feel, and it is nice to do something that calms our spirit. I was stuck home, Bill was on call this weekend, but I do wish I was out on the lake with you. I have an old cookbook like that from our local church, they have the best recipes.

Debbie

P.J. said...

Beautiful post! Awesome snap shot of the feather and reflection. That donut looks scrumptious. Enjoy your visit with your brother. :)

Raymond Homestead said...

I find it hard to watch the news anymore, it's so depressing. I have never heard of molasses donuts either but I bet they are yummy! Being by or on the water is always peaceful to me.

Primitive Stars said...

Ahhhhh, such calming lake pictures, beautiful Loon... Yum, donuts look so good....Blessings Francine.

Unknown said...

I am so glad I don't have tv service. I hate to hear all the negative news.

Your world is simply beautiful, glad you could get out and enjoy it.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The doughnuts look so old fashioned good! And we are having to limit our news watching, too. Very sad and disturbing...and they repeat everything so much. Enjoy your week my friend! Hugs!

yaya said...

My Grandma used to make the best donuts and cream puffs...oh my, I'm wanting some real bad! I'd never heard of molasses donuts but it sure looks tasty! Every time I hear the word "loon" I think of the movie, "On Golden Pond". Love that flick! Yes, it's nice to not turn on the news these days. Too much sadness. I hope you enjoy your visit with your brother. Take care!

Unknown said...

What a great weekend! How fun that you made your grandma's donuts. They look yummy.

I agree about the news. For me, it helps to remember my faith and that while the world is in chaos, God is in control.

Hope you have a great week!
~Liz

annie said...

The donuts look good, love your cutter. I can't stand the news either, if you want to have a miserable day just turn the news on. We all need a diversion, the water, water & sky, wow!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Beautiful photos!! And yes, you are very blessed!!

Thanks so much for stopping by and for taking the time to leave such a sweet comment!!

Hugs,
Debbie

★Carol★ said...

I've been watching the news less and less, because it's all just horrible. Glad you found ways to put all of that out of your head. And in my opinion, anything with molasses is a winner!