Sunday, August 14, 2016

The Long Hot Summer...

We have had one hot, humid summer, with little rain, and the forecast is for more of the same. Yesterday was cooler but humid so we left all the windows open overnight and it was a cool 65 this morning. I baked a blueberry breakfast cake...

Threw the sneaks on and went for a very long walk.

Picked what blackberries that were ripe. I then took up residence in our living room where we installed a small air conditioner that is the only place in the house bearable. The temps climbed and the humidity rose and it is still miserable at 7:14pm.

Another way we beat the heat this week was to go to the local theater and watch ON Golden Pond on the big screen. There was a question and answer after with the writer and he brought his Oscar (not sure why I didn't take a picture of it. ) The movie was filmed in our town and on the lake here. My favorite movie of all time! If you have never watched it, rent it!

The one upside of the heat today, I hooked! I got more leaves done and a tiny bit of background. I have not settled on the beaks of the birds yet.
****
My brother is coming from Mississippi on Tuesday for a week.
I am looking forward to it I haven't seen him in a couple of years!
***
On a weird note I heard my cell phone ringing at 6:15. If it was anyone who knew us and it was an emergency they would know to call the house phone. I looked at the number and it is not one I recognize. I worried because there was a message I couldn't understand so I waited. (the number when I tried to call it back it would not go through) tonight I get a call from the same number it is jail! yikes I talk to the girl and she had the wrong number! I was happy it was the wrong number, but I felt sorry for her. She felt bad for calling my number. ( I have no idea why she was arrested but she sounded very young and was very polite and apologized)
****
Have a great week!

5 comments:

WoolenSails said...

This heat is killing me too, even with two airs running, it is oppressive.
I have a fan blowing air from that, onto me just to make it bearable.
The bad thing about that movie is, everyone wants to vacation there now;)

Debbie

yaya said...

We finally had some good, soaking, all day rain. Even though it's the weekend, I was happy to see it. The humidity is still high even if the temps are a bit cooler. I think we're in the path for chances of rain each day but I do hope to mow the yard tomorrow. It's finally long and green enough to mow again! Hope your weather gets better because I'm betting your brother from Mississippi is hoping it's cooler than it's been in his neck of the woods. I loved "On Golden Pond" and consider it one of my favorite movies. How fun to live where it was filmed..such a beautiful area. Have a great week! P.S..One of my other fav movies, "Shawshank Redemption" has been on and it was filmed here. Not as pretty as your Movie but I love it anyway!

camp and cottage living said...

Oh, that's such a sad story about the girl in jail....
I sure hope you get some relief from your awful heat there soon, Cathy.
And I'm wondering what you will do with your blackberries?
I've never seen all of On Golden Pond, but maybe I can find it on youtube to watch.
Take care-Kim

Raymond Homestead said...

Yummy! Happy Belated Birthday!

Rugs and Pugs said...

I always loved that movie, though I am not a Jane Fonda fan.
Your rug is lookin' good.
Your sneaks look comfy.
Hugs :)
Lauren