Sunday, February 6, 2011

Done Whining

Thanks for all the comments even though I was whiny. I am a bit better and I do have something to write about. Yesterday a friend and I went out and about. Coffee and muffins, and some shopping. We went to a thrift store. I got this, it is glass name place cards. I plan on using it for our Easter Buffet to label all the foods.                                                                                                                         
 Then more cookie cutters and a hand made wool bear. he has one arm larger than the other but I like him flaws and all.
Of course we hit the dump. The weekends are not the time to pick to many people picking. I got this I know Christmas is over but it is good looking and I like some fake stuff in the house. and a large stack of woodworking magazines that made my husband very happy.
By the time we got home it was snowing. (This is my husbands workshop,it's heated, and has my daughter's college frig out there. he says all he need is a recliner : ) This was one crazy storm. Snow, sleet , freezing rain, rain, and a pretty big thunder storm. I have seen it thunder in the winter once before but this was as big as any summer storm.
So you know what I do when it storms,I cook! This is homemade baked macaroni and cheese. Alton Brown's recipe food tv. Easy and good.                                                                       
I set the table near the fire place,we ate there played a few games of cards and called it a night.
In the morning the temps were in the 30's so melting was happening but the snow was so heavy so hard to shovel. The trees were beautiful for a few hours.
In the mail yesterday was Becks plant and bulb catalog. You can order 25.00 free and if you don't hit the 25 you pay nothing. such a good deal I am going to shop during the super bowl. Then last week at a thrift store for .50 I got this book on longwood gardens. I have never been there it says it is 30 miles outside of West Philadelphia in the Brandywine Valley.
It has the most amazing pictures and I plan on going over each picture. I want to see every flower. This book may get me through the rest of the winter.
After we cleaned up outside a bit this morning we went to Brunch. I have been to this place for dinner but not brunch. It was wonderful they had two old guys (late 70's or 80's ) playing Jazz and they were great. I sipped a mimosa and enjoyed Brunch and the music.  Total it was 25.00 We will be doing that again for sure.
Welcome to my 2 new followers and God bless you followed even though I was whining.
I hope your team wins the super bowl, we have no favorite the Patriots didn't make it : (
keep your fingers crossed for me that we are sunny and clear so I can see my daughter and that sweet baby on wed, my day off.

19 comments:

Larkrise garden girl said...

Good blog! I love pictures. I bet it is hard to take snowstorm after snowstorm. Keep your spirits up and even though were having a sunny day in California we don't have any team in the Super Bowl. Yea East Coast! Cheri

Kim said...

I love the old metal cookie cutters. I guess a flower catalog is a good way to forget about this weather. And eating homemade Mac and cheese in front of a fireplace sounds perfect. So cozy.

Reduce, Reuse and Rummage said...

Yum mac n' cheese. Sounds like a great day!

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

You're not whining...at least no more than any of us!! Great thrift finds. Your little dinner table in front of the fire looks so homey, and with the mac and cheese...bliss. Also, mimosas and jazz--wish I was there!
Cheers!
Courtney

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cathy ~
Well, I am glad you are done whining {big grin}! Sound like you had a great weekend. Homemade mac & cheese ~ YUMMO!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren
Congrats on all the followers. I remember when you were begging for followers. Pretty soon you will catch up to me :)

yaya said...

Those glass place cards are unusual..never seen anything like that before. Good find! I love homemade mac'n cheese, but when my kiddos were little they just wanted it from the "blue box"! We had the same storm and frankly, I'm getting a bit sick of it. The ice is the worst! I love the place setting in front of the fireplace. I have a fireplace in my kitchen, but hardly ever use it. Makes me think maybe I will soon!

saltbox
treasures
said...

Your mac 'n cheese looks great! Your little granddaughter is so adorable!
Have a great week!
~Julie

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

Oh,my! The mac 'n cheese looks awesome. Now I am hungry.
★Linda★

Pat said...

Seems you had a great time...and so many great finds. If we tried to search at the dump, they'd run over us with bulldozers. Longwood Gardens is a beautiful place to spend the day. I've been in the spring and at Christmas time.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

I love your glass place cards, they are beautiful! I was going to make lobster mac & cheese yesterday but ditched it when we were invited to a super bowl party! I'm making it today!

Ciao!

Dianne said...

Sounds like you had a good weekend (and a productive one at that - like the treasures you found!). Hope you get to see your granddaughter this week (wish mine lived that close!). The Mac & Cheese looks good. Check out my blog for the recipe for "noodle pudding"! Sooo good I think you'll like it!

Donna said...

So jealous of your husband's great looking workshop!! That would be so perfect for "creating". You Mac'n Cheese looks awesome...do you give out recipes??
The dinner looks fun (we like to play cards after dinner too...) and your brunch sound great!! Life is good! Especially if you can see the baby!!!!!

Susanne said...

I love those place card holders. I use them like signs in little tea cup arrangements.
Think Spring!
Susanne.

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

i like those cute little cookie cutters! spring will be here soon...longwood looks really nice, think i will google it.

Joanne said...

Looks like some great finds - Was at Longwood Gardens many times when I was a kid - haven't been there as an adult! Whine away - this weather is enough to bring it out! Mac and Cheese - one of my hublet's favorites (me not so much) but I make a huge vat of it in the crockpot - tastes like oven baked and so easy too

Anonymous said...

I heard a rumor that Springtime is right around the corner. Hang in there, old man Winter will be gone soon :-)

Take care and have a great week :-)

~Ron
*******

Vintage Gal said...

Hi Cathy ~ just found you through Sunny simple Life~! I am your new follower...Please share the mac and cheese recipe. It sounds wonderful. Don't you just LOVE thrifting? ;-)

Martha said...

You found some wonderful treasures. Those placecards are just great!

Susan Freeman said...

Your table by the fire looks so cozy!! You really should go visit Longwood Garden. I was there a couple of times when we lived in northern Virginia. What part of NH do you live in? My husband went to Cardigan Mountain School and his mom has a little summer place on Mirror Lake. I love NH. It's so beautiful and I have always loved to hunt for antiques there.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo