Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Trip To Maine

Everyone made me laugh so much about the snow. It did snow off and on all of Friday but nothing stuck.
I had a great weekend a friend and I drove to Maine on Saturday to check out 2 rug hooking stores we had never been to. The first one was in Rollinsford NH called wool and goods. The owner Cathy was very nice and the store was lovely. I bought some wool and a new hook. One with a larger shank . Of course I was so overwhelmed with all the lovely wool and patterns I forgot my camera. She told us about Camp Wool in Kennebunkport. Since I was going to stop by George and Barbara's(Bush) to say hi : ) anyway, we went.

First of all I couldn't write enough words to describe camp wool. cozy, the cupboards the wool is displayed in are wonderful, the rugs displayed are amazing, the little group of chairs for her classes area are             comfortable.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
 The colors in these pictures are so washed out. If you could have seen this it was amazing.
 This is wooden box was filled with paisley, the color was amazing.
 There were wooden carriers all over filled with wool. She is holding a hook in next weekend and I hope to go. I have never been to one and would love to be with other rug hookers again. I bought more wool and the wool street journal.
 Where I found this picture of the rug I am working on. Page 35 Sammie's wool room, The colors are wonderful. Soooo I started to look at my rug and colors.....
 Mine looks a bit washed out do ya think???? now be honest. I do not want a black background, its the yellow that catches my eye. So I am going to do something I am very much against. I am going to pull out parts of my rug and hook in some mustard color. I think that people pull out their hooking way to quickly and should wait for the rug to be more done before they make the decision to pull out. I think that discourages people (me) when they are working on a piece.
 
I am off to reverse hook.  It is rainy and cold here. I have done my quota of house work for the day. I going to watch one of my movies I got at a yard sale and make a cup of tea. ,
I loved all of your comments they were wonderful!!!!! More, More, More, Please.
And a great big welcome to my new followers.


8 comments:

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Your rug is beautiful as it is!!! Very soft and antique looking!! You might want to forge on ~ you're on a very good color path ~ to my eye! Both those places sound very fun!! I've been to George and Bab's years ago ~ well, I've been to Kennebunkport, that is!! And passed their compound ~ if that counts!!!!! And it was before I was a rug hooker ~ drat!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Ok you've done it. My friend and I are going to take a rug hooking class at her town's public library. We were saying it would be so much fun to have something handmade under our feet. We will let you know how we're doing. Wish us luck!!

Kim said...

Your rug is beautiful and I can't wait to see it again with some mustard added. I think that will pop. I'm like you - I hate to reverse hook. I try to avoid it but sometimes it is necessary.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cathy ~
Those wool stores sound like heaven!!!
I really hate (I know, hate is a very strong word!) reverse hooking, though I am doing a bit in my hores rug. I think your rug colors are wonderful, but if mustard will make you happy, go for it!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Kathleen said...

I LOVE the colors in your rug! The completed rugs colors are lovely, but so are yours! Keep hooking and follow your own advice & instinct.
This is one of THE BEST blogs, by the way! Love it.
Cheers,
Kathleen in NJ

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

I love your telling about your trip to Maine. Please please tell me everything you can about Maine. I am in love with the state and never been there. lol
I keep promising myself I am going but have not made it yet. If I do I can get you to show me around. Especially since we have mutual friends the Bush's. They should remember me since I live not to far from them in Texas.
Your rug is really very pretty. I am like Kim I want to see again when you add the yellow.
So love your site
Maggie

Plumruncreek ♥ said...

Love your rug!! Your blog is great!

vintagesue said...

my mom grew up in maine and i spent all my summer and most of my winter vacation there there growing up. i remember being thrown out into 4 feet of snow when i was little and almost disappearing. lol.
so wonderful you had a chance to get to your store. i loved old hooked rugs, but don't have the patience to make one for myself. it takes skill and patience for sure.
enjoy your movie and your tea....sounds better than the 20 girl scout cookies i'm about to eat. yikes.
take care
sue