Sunday, April 25, 2010

rummage sales, yard sales & thrift stores oh my!

On Thursday my friend Cathy and I waited in line for a very popular rummage sale. I found some really nice things even though it was so crowded that you couldn't get around very well. I do not do well in crowds. But I made it. I have lots of pictures I will share through out the week 4 aprons, a cute daisy scarf, and place mats. I also found crochet books for my elderly aunt and a book on collecting (like I needed help). I also got 3 great skirts that will be cut up for the 100%wool for one of my rugs. I got a scrabble game for .50 and other things I will show later. I think I spent 15.00 on every thing and there is a lot more to share. Friday night when I got home from work I felt awful so I was not sure I would get to yard sale this weekend. Sat morning I felt good enough to go, so off I went. (The husband said it was near a miracle how I got well enough to go.) I went to the first yard sale and found not much. I ran into Lisa that runs one of my favorite thrift stores. I go over to say bye to her as she is checking out and I spied this!

Now I am not much for Victorian, but it has a squirrel and acorns!(hint ,hint Acorn Hollow)She is paying 2.00 for it and I would pay 20.00 for it. "Oh you lucky I love that"So as I walk off she yells to me "if you want it you can have it for the 2.00 I paid!" Yikes are you sure as I am grabbing it out of her hands. I hand her a 5.00 and say keep the change as I run flat out for the car before anyone can change their minds. It had a oval bowl at one time so now I want to find something that will fit it.
Look at that cute squirrel as he eats an acorn! How can you not love it. It is not silver, on the bottom it says white metal but it looks like silver. I continue on to two other yard sales which I will share this week. The last of the two were people splitting up and selling out their house. There was a brand new roll -away screen door in the box 20.00(it rolls up like a shade sideways) I called the hubby and he said grab it! They are 150.-200. for that size and it will fit one of our doors. and a Nordic track tread mill. This guy is a chief of police so when he said that it worked great and he gave me a quick run down on how to use it, I believed him and wrote the check. So if you see a really fit beautiful 50ish woman in about a month that would be me.
I had to work Sunday. I hate working Sunday. that is my day to stay in the PJ's drink coffee and read the Sunday paper. After work I went to the grocery store and look what I found. lilacs! I love them so much, and they smell yummy. So my prize for working Sunday are the lilacs.
On Saturday I got to finish up a little project I was working on.

The box I found at the dump awhile ago. I painted it white, decoupaged some old garden pictures on all sides, antiqued it then I stamped it with a large stamp I have had for some time. It is a list of things that remind you of summer. I think the stamping was messy and didn't do much for it. It's for the porch and I am leaving well enough alone.


This is one end of the box and you can see the stamping didn't do much for it. But it will serve the purpose of holding the S&P, with napkins on the porch. For working Sunday I got Thursday off.(only because I begged) Guess what? that is the day of the first rummage sale of the season for a little church in my town.Guess who is going to get in line for that? Ah summer.



5 comments:

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Cute wooden tote.....as for the checkered knobs...I use them on doors that are not used often, so I do not know how well they wear, but they could be sprayed with acrylic, or filled in so easily - thanks for stopping by

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cathy ~
You done good! The squirrel with acorn thingy is just too perfect for you. I'm so glad you were able to get it!
How's the rug coming?
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Rugs and Pugs said...

P.S. If in a month or so you see a 50ish (really closer to 60ish) fit woman walking down the street, it won't be me...lol. My treadmill has very low miles!

One Cheap B*tch said...

You did good! =)

Jeanine

Unknown said...

That is a great squirrel and acorn. Perfect for you . Have a great time on this next hunt. Love going to garage sales and thrift stores.